Sunday, February 10, 2013
Fire Captain Seth Colby said the department's shift was "business as usual."
When the governor said to stay home and stay off the road, Shrewsbury residents listened. Fire Captain Seth Colby was the shift commander during the blizzard and he said the department didn't have any major issues around town during the storm. "Everything went well," Colby said. "The storm was relatively uneventful." Colby said the department had to respond to several medical calls and transport residents to local hospitals, but the roads were clear and the department was prepared. "The Highway Department did a good job staying on top of the snow and I think the fact that people stayed off the roads and stayed home really helped," Colby said. "We had chains on the tires for the trucks and didn't have any problems." The department was …
Thursday, February 7, 2013
Shrewsbury' Bill Ryzewski climbed 42 stories of a Boston skyscraper to raise funds for the American Lung Association.
Hundreds of firefighters from across Massachusetts climbed 42 stories in One Boston Place to raise funds for the American Lung Association. Among the firefighters who ascended the tower was Shrewsbury's Bill Ryzewski, who climbed in full pack of gear, including a 20-pound air tank. The "Fight for Air Climb" raised more than $400,000 for the American Lung Association.
Saturday, December 22, 2012
The incident happened at White City this morning.
A 911 call at 12:25 a.m. delivered a fire truck to the White City Shopping Center on Route 9 this morning. Three Dumpsters were on fire behind the section of stores that includes Panera Bread and Dollar Forever, Shrewsbury Fire Capt. Bruce Card said. The fires were contained to the Dumpsters, which are eight to 10 feet away from the shops, Card said. One of the shops' employees reported the incident as an outside fire, he said. Firefighters left the scene at 1:30 a.m., he said.
Friday, November 30, 2012
Two cooks received burns to the fingers, hands and forearms Friday in a flash fire at Jimmy's Tavern.
UPDATED: A flash fire sparked by ignition of cooking spray burned two employees of Jimmy's Tavern & Grill Friday night, according to the Shrewsbury Fire Department. Both of the cooks were burned in the fingers, hands, and forearms, said Fire Capt. Bruce Card, after the can of cooking spray ignited when it got too near a cooking grill. The injured workers were taken by ambulances to UMass Medical Center in Worcester, he said, for treatment. He could not describe the severity of the burns. Card did not have a chance to speak to the injured before they were taken to the hospital. The workers were not identified. The ignition of the cooking spray, which is contained under pressure, caused a flash fire, which did not spread into the restaurant'…
Monday, November 19, 2012
After a crash, drivers can become trapped in their vehicles. Luckily, the Shrewsbury Fire Department has the Jaws of Life to get you to safety.
Smashing windows and cutting apart doors to better protect local motorists, the Shrewsbury Fire Department practiced their "vehicle extrication" tecniques recently. During the training, fire fighters used the "Jaws of Life" a cutting and spreading tool that can save drivers trapped in a crumpled vehicle.
Saturday, November 17, 2012
An overnight fire is estimated to have caused over $250,000 in damage to a home in Shrewsbury that had a sale pending.
- POLICE & FIRE
Saturday, November 17, 2012
A fire that hit 398 Prospect St. shortly after midnight caused over $250,000 in damage, according to Shrewsbury Fire Officials. "The fire started in the garage and was determined to be accidental," said Fire Chief Jim Vuona. "The fire was due to the careless disposal of smoking material by one of the residents." Estimated damage is above $250,000 but no fire fighters or residents were hurt in the blaze, he said. When crews arrived, flames were coming out of the garage windows. "The garage and attic sustained severe fire damage, while the second floor was damaged by heat and smoke," said the chief. Three Shrewsbury fire vehicles were used at the scene. The Northborough fire department provided assistance at the fire. Boylston and Grafton …
Wednesday, October 10, 2012
Fire chief makes room for the old, horse-drawn engines.
In the early '70s, two old—very old—fire engines were dug from the ruins, quite unexpectedly. The engines, called "The Fountain" and "The Quinsigamond" were abandoned at Artemas Ward Barn after a fire that destroyed one of the old barns. As of this week, "The Fountain," built in 1851, and also "The Quinsigamond," from 1819, are now displayed at Shrewsbury's fire department headquarters on Church Street. The engines had been in storage originally at the Lake Street station, and were moved to the basement of the Floral Street School when room was needed. Only occasionally, for special occasions, are the engines taken outside. Vuona, who has been concentrating on cataloguing the history of the fire department, asked that alterations be made …
Tuesday, October 9, 2012
October is National Fire Safety Month. "Have two ways out!"
Tuesday, October 9, 2012
Information courtesy of the Shrewsbury Fire Department Fire Prevention Week, Oct. 7-13, gives the fire service the opportunity to reach out to the community and empower its citizens to prevent home fires and protect their families. This year’s theme, “Have 2 Ways Out!” reminds families how important it is to have two ways out of every building—especially our homes, where most fires take place. No one thinks fire will happen to them, yet according to data from the Massachusetts Fire Incident Reporting System (MFIRS), there were 29,110 fires reported in Massachusetts during 2011 causing 54 civilian deaths, 2 fire service deaths, 323 civilian injuries, 422 fire service injuries and an estimated $217 million in property damage. That’s why it …
Thursday, September 13, 2012
The department responded to two fires in three days.
Shrewsbury firefighters have responded to two fires this week: one early Sunday morning that left smoke damage at AMF Town & Country Bowl, and one Tuesday night that left a mother and daughter with minor injuries. According to Fire Chief James Vuona, a fire broke out at AMF Bowling on Route 9 around 5 a.m. Sunday. The fire originated in the area of a secondary electrical panel, he said. Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone everyday with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here. A firefighter received a minor cut when he was hit on the nose by a hose, the chief told the Shrewsbury Daily Voice. The bowling alley remained closed Wednesday night because of smoke damage. …
Tuesday, May 8, 2012
No one was home when a fire broke out on Crescent Street this morning.
At about 10:15 a.m., the Shrewsbury Fire Department responded to 110 Crescent St. for a two-alarm fire. "The fire was called by someone at Sherwood Middle School," said Shrewsbury Fire Chief James Vuona. "A firefighter retrieved one gray dog from the home, but no one was at home at the time of the fire." The chief said the fire started in the rear of the home and spread. "There is about $100,000 in damage to the home," Vuona said. "The damage is mostly to the roof of the house and because of the water damage." The home is owned by John W. Ambach and was built in 2008. It is located behind Sherwood Middle School. The chief said a family member of the owner works for the town. "I saw the first truck arrive and I saw the owner's son run into …