A fire that hit 398 Prospect St. shortly after midnight caused over $250,000 in damage, according to Shrewsbury Fire Officials.
"The fire started in the garage and was determined to be accidental," said Fire Chief Jim Vuona. "The fire was due to the careless disposal of smoking material by one of the residents."
Estimated damage is above $250,000 but no fire fighters or residents were hurt in the blaze, he said. When crews arrived, flames were coming out of the garage windows.
"The garage and attic sustained severe fire damage, while the second floor was damaged by heat and smoke," said the chief.
Three Shrewsbury fire vehicles were used at the scene. The Northborough fire department provided assistance at the fire. Boylston and Grafton Fire Departments covered HQ’s and Station 2 via mutual aid, according to the release.
The property is listed with a sale pending. It was most recently listed at $514,900 and has been on the market 57 days.