Firefighters Extinguish Bowling Alley, House Fires

The department responded to two fires in three days.

have responded to two fires this week: one early Sunday morning that left smoke damage at , and one Tuesday night that left a mother and daughter with minor injuries.

According to Fire Chief James Vuona, a fire broke out at AMF Bowling on Route 9 around 5 a.m. Sunday. The fire originated in the area of a secondary electrical panel, he said.

Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone everyday with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.

A firefighter received a minor cut when he was hit on the nose by a hose, the chief told the Shrewsbury Daily Voice. The bowling alley remained closed Wednesday night because of smoke damage.

Firefighters responded to the second fire at 10:58 p.m. Tuesday. Vuona said when firefighters arrived at 3 Heywood St., a second floor bedroom was on fire. The cause is believed to be a candle from a wall sconce. "Specifically, the glass candle holder appears to have fractured, dropping the candle onto a pillow and bedding," Vuona said.

A 52-year-old woman and her 15-year-old daughter received minor burns trying to extinguish the fire, the chief said. They were taken to UMass to be evaluated as a precaution.

"The fire was located and knocked down quickly," Vuona said, crediting Engine 2, led by Capt. Bruce Card. A family dog was also rescued from the fire; it was uninjured.

The family is staying with neighbors, the chief said.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something