Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. When I was a kid, I had the softest teddy bear that I slept with for years. Did you have a favorite stuffed animal? Today is Teddy Bear Day, so take a moment to reminisce about your first "friend" even if was imaginary, and if you want to buy one, stuffed animals are sold at the , though may seem a little smaller than the one you had as a child or maybe you've gotten a little bigger?
2. There ain't nothing like a hound dog like Elvis today. On this day in 1956, Elvis Presley appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show. That appearance launched him into stardom and the King would give us favorites like Blue Suede Shoes and Love Me Tender, not to mention those hip shakes. Looking for Elvis vintage goodies? Stop by the on Main Street. They've reopened and you don't know what classic treasure you'll find.
3. Also on this day in 1919, the famous Boston Police Department strike took place just 45 minutes from here. How did it turn out, well of course, criminals took advantage and looted the city, but no one was injured during the strike. As a result of the strike, police were allowed to form unions.
4. Want to support a local sports team? starts at 3:30 p.m. at the high school, 65 Holden St.
5. This weekend the town will come together for a honoring those lost in the 9/11 attacks. Please bring a candle to the town common from 8 to 9 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 11.