SHREWSBURY – Some of Shrewsbury’s notables appeared in
Mountain View Cemetery on Saturday, October 5.
Dressed in period costumes, the characters stood among fallen colored
leaves and over 10,000 gravesites.
Luminarias and flashlights guided the way of approximately 100 guests to
hear about the tales of some Shrewsbury residents of long ago. According to co-chairs, Linda Davis and
Lauren Davis Finacom, “The Walk Through History” has been an annual fundraiser
for the past eight years. The history of
Shrewsbury not only reflects the history of America, it has had influence upon
it. An appreciation for this history and
a sense of community pride impel the Shrewsbury Historical Society to honor the
past and the role that Shrewsbury people have played in it.” Linda Davis, curator, explained that Mountain
View Cemetery is so named because on a clear day, when looking to the north,
you can see Mount Wachusett.
Thank you to the following cast of characters: Erik Larson, as Samuel I. Howe (a storekeeper who ran the initial town postal service right out of his store); Linda Davis, as Harriet Buck (an unfortunate victim of one of the largest fires in Shrewsbury’s history, the 1902 Buck Fire); Jim Kane, as Alvin Henshaw (Chief-Engineer at the town’s leather tannery and prominent member of the community who was maimed in a factory accident) Christopher Kirk, as Silas Allen, Jr. (a Shrewsbury resident credited as “one of the most skillful gunsmiths in the Commonwealth” before his retirement at age 60 in 1845); Nathan Richardson, as Rev. George Allen (Pastor of the First Congregational Church in Shrewsbury following the death of Rev. Joseph Sumner in 1825); George Bergstrom, as Jacob Rice (a founder and driving force behind the development of the Shrewsbury Rifle Company; and John Lebeaux, as F.H. Perkins (owner and operator of “Perkins Home Bakery and Groceries” which was the first bakery established in Shrewsbury in 1897).
Established in 1898, the Shrewsbury Historical Society’s mission is to keep alive and increase interest in the history of the Town of Shrewsbury; to collect and preserve items of special value, traditions, and curiosities; to encourage general public interest in its work; and to maintain such personal properties and real estate that may come under the control of the Society.” The Historical Society Museum and Store in the Brick Schoolhouse on the Common, is open Saturdays from September through May, from 10 am to 1 pm (closed on holiday weekend) and is free of charge.