Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. The Shrewsbury Board of Health has issued a public health advisory due to the observation of high levels of cyanobacteria algae (blue-green) in Dean Park Pond and Jordan Pond. The board is offering the following recommendations until further notice:
- Do not swim in the ponds
- Do not allow pets in water
- Do not swallow water
- Rinse skin off immediately after contact
- Fishing is discouraged
To view the full document, click here.
2. The Finance Committee meets at 7 p.m. today at .
3. The is holding several events today, including the SPLAT (Shrewsbury Public Library Advisory Team) annual bake sale from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and Starting an Exercise Program by Resolution Bodyworks from 7 to 8:45 p.m. Registration is required for the evening program, which is limited to 30 participants. Call 508-842-0081 x3.
4. This Saturday, Aug. 18, Shrewsbury residents can drop off their yard waste (leaves and grass only) at the Municipal Garage, 211 South St. Proof of residency is required. Hours are from 7:30 to 11:30 a.m. The next drop off date is Saturday, Sept. 15. No brush is allowed.
5. Voting continues through Aug. 17 for the Readers' Choice categories we've selected for Shrewsbury. Cast your vote and help us decide who's best. Today, we're highlighting "best landscaper."
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to keep up to date on the latest Shrewsbury news, or simply hit the "like" button at the top of this page. If you'd like to receive the daily newsletter with our top stories, click here.