Recently, we asked the readers: "You have a friend coming into town. He or she has never been to Shrewsbury. Where do you take them?"
Here are five of the most popular responses:
1. The Lakeside Bar and Grill: tucked in the back corner of the plaza that shares the Bollywood Grill, Petco and Trader Joe's on Route 9, the Lakeside quickly became a townie institution. While it has only been open for three and a half years, owner Frank Panarelli said it quickly became a beloved hang, with its sleek, modern interior, generous portions, full bar and friendly waitstaff. "People call it the new Ground Round," he said.
2. Hebert Candy Mansion: While the Hebert family sold off the company years ago, new owners kept the name and product alive. Dishing out candies, gifts and ice cream, it is also home to the weekly cruise night, Easter Bunny visits, and the haunted house at Halloween.
3. Dean Park: Who hasn't played ball there, walked the paths or hung out to watch the fountains?
4. Artemas Ward House: It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and has the distinction of being the home of the first commander-in-chief of the American Revolution.
5. The Christmas Tree Shop: Yes, it's a chain, but many if our Shrewsbury residents say they would take their guests for a shopping trip. Where else can you pick up party ware, a door stopper, a new lampshade, toys for the kids, Portuguese muffins and spices all in the same trip? People just love a bargain.