The kids these days are out of control! Well, maybe you don't quite think that, but wouldn't mind a little help with some parenting strategies.
Available to all Shrewsbury families is a parenting strategies course, a nine-week cirriculum designed for parents or guardians who are interesting in learning some helpful strategies. This course will also address specific techniques for effectively managing the behavior of children who experience emotional and/or behavioral dysregulation.
The goals of the Parenting Strategies Curriculum are:
1) To train parents/guardians in skills to increase their ability to cope more effectively with common parenting situations to
a. Improve their own well being
b. Help their children function more effectively overall
2) To educate parents/guardians on some current theories about neurological and environmental causes of emotional and behavioral dysregulation.
The course content will include:
- Parenting Dilemmas
- Validation Skills
- Effective Communication
- Assessment of Problem Behavior
- Basic Principles of Reinforcement
- Behavior Change Procedures
- Crisis Survival
This course is open to all Shrewsbury parents/guardians and is free of charge. If possible, it is encouraged both parents/guardians participate. The content of each class will be built upon all that was taught and discussed in the preceding sessions. We encourage parents/guardians to attend all the sessions so they can follow what is presented later in the course.
Please RSVP by Friday January, 25, to ENerland@Shrewsbury.k12.ma.us
Meeting Place: The Bent Presentation Room at Shrewsbury High School
Meeting Time: 6-7:30 PM
Jan. 29 and Feb 12 in the SHS Media Center and Feb. 26, March 12 and 26, April 23, May 7 and 21 in the SHS Media Center