Chimney Fire on Wesleyan Causes Extensive Damage
A fireplace fire extended to the attic at a residence Saturday night.
Four are looking for a place to stay after a chimney fire tore through the secondy story at a residence on Wesleyan Street late Saturday night.
Shrewsbury police received a call from the 38 Wesleyan St. shortly before 11 p.m. on Saturday, reporting a fire that had extended to the attic of the home.
The second floor of the home, which is an inlaw apartment/garage in located in the rear of 38 Wesleyan St. was engulfed in smoke when firefighters arrived.
"The fireplace is on the first floor," said Captain Seth Cloby of the Shrewsbury Fire Department, "but the fire actually started in the flue on the scond floor and extended into the attic."
Four adults live in the home, reportedly family members. There were no injuries.
With extensive damage to the home, it is uninhabitable, said Captain Colby.
The American Red Cross arrived to assist with housing for the residents.
Westborough and Boylston fire departments assisted, and Northborough fire covered the Shrewsbury fire station while the depatment was on the call.
The fire is under investigation.