UPDATED: Two Cooks Burned in Kitchen Fire at Jimmy's Tavern
Two cooks received burns to the fingers, hands and forearms Friday in a flash fire at Jimmy's Tavern.
UPDATED: A flash fire sparked by ignition of cooking spray burned two employees of Jimmy's Tavern & Grill Friday night, according to the Shrewsbury Fire Department.
Both of the cooks were burned in the fingers, hands, and forearms, said Fire Capt. Bruce Card, after the can of cooking spray ignited when it got too near a cooking grill.
The injured workers were taken by ambulances to UMass Medical Center in Worcester, he said, for treatment. He could not describe the severity of the burns. Card did not have a chance to speak to the injured before they were taken to the hospital. The workers were not identified.
The ignition of the cooking spray, which is contained under pressure, caused a flash fire, which did not spread into the restaurant's kitchen. The small explosion set off the sprinkler system in the kitchen.
The restaurant was evacuated after the incident, which was reported about 6:20 p.m. The building remains closed, but could potentially reopen Monday, Card said.
The Shrewsbury Board of Health responded to the scene, as did the building inspector, Card said.