5 Things You Need to Know Today: April 24
If you like your office manager more than your boss, it's a good week to order some flowers. (Just don't sniff them, though, if you're allergic.)
Our daily column, 5 Things You Need to Know Today, will help you to get your day started and offer you some fodder for water cooler conversation.
1. Sobriety checkpoints throughout the region are a regular reminder that state police are serious about fighting drunken-driving. Troopers camped out on Rte. 9 in Shrewsbury on Saturday night, and arrested 11 people for OUI alcohol/drugs. In addition, troopers issued three criminal summonses and 40 civil motor vehicle citations.
2. With the nice weather comes allergies, unfortunately. The rain yesterday helped wash away some seasonal triggers (though it didn't help with the mold.) Today, however, is predicted to be a terrible day for allergy sufferers in the Shrewsbury area, according to pollen.com. What do you do to combat allergies?
3. Have any unanwered questions about the town? Our "You Ask, Patch Answers," column highlights readers' questions. Most recently, we got some information about police detail rates in town. If you have a question, email it to firstname.lastname@example.org, or post it here in the comments.
4. It's Administrative Professionals Week. A recent survey showed that 65 percent of people felt their office would be more likely to fall apart if their office manager—more than their boss—left. Do you agree? If so, it's a good time to recognize the administrative professional in your life: perhaps with some flowers from any of the local shops featured in our Readers' Choice poll this week.
5. Have you been following the story of a Shrewsbury resident and former Assumption College student who, in an interview with a Norwegian television station, expressed support for a man accused of mass murder? We posted a story late last week: if you missed it, check it out.